According to the Lizman, Matthews, and Reyes (2014) in What Works? Short-Term, In-Custody Treatment Programs, there are a number of risk-needs-responsivity model programs that have shown significant promise to effect real change in long-term offender rehabilitation. However, in this article, the authors are more concerned with the successful application of such programs inside short-term correctional settings, such as jails or detention centers.
After reviewing the merits of the article, use proper APA format and at least 3 academic sources to write a 4–6-page response that focuses on the overall effectiveness of correctional rehabilitation.
- Select 3 of the following program types, and discuss the effectiveness of these specific correctional rehabilitation programs:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Educational and vocational programs
- Substance and alcohol abuse treatment
- Faith-based programs
- Mental illness treatment programs
- Provide an example of each type of program currently being used in correctional facilities.
- How is the risk-needs-responsivity model applied to the 3 types of programs that you selected?
- What are the determining factors in assessing the effectiveness of these programs, including the limitations?