Assignment 3: Stakeholders in Sustainable Business Transformation
In this module, we explored a number of broad forces that have significant influence on business, government, and society. In this assignment, you will focus on environmental issues and sustainable development as a growing force in business and society today. Decision makers integrating environmental and social issues and concerns with economic goals can face conflicting costs and benefits among these three elements of sustainable development.
In this assignment, you will examine some of the environmental and social costs and benefits associated with an economic development project. You will also examine one business or organization that is implementing sustainable development policies and initiatives.
This assignment will comprise 15% of your total course mark. Part A is a case study on the environmental, social, and economic impacts of a new dam in China. Part B is a report examining a corporation or other organization that is transforming to more sustainable operations. Each question carries the marks as stated for a total of 100 marks.
Part A: Instructions
Read the Discussion Case: “The Three Gorges Dam” on page 241 of Chapter 10 of your Business and Society textbook, and answer the following two questions. You should demonstrate your ability to incorporate and integrate your learning from all aspects of this module. Ensure that you include information from the course material, the readings, your journal, and your own research.
- Question 1: Describe some of the conflicting social, economic, and environmental costs, benefits, and issues associated with construction of the Three Gorges Dam. Remember to consider global as well as local and regional issues and impacts (or potential future impacts) of construction and operation of this dam. (25 Marks)
- Question 2: Describe the biases, perspectives, or experiences that may influence your views on the various costs and benefits of the Three Gorges Dam project. (5 marks)
Part B: Instructions
In Part B of this assignment, you examine a corporation or other organization that is transforming to more sustainable operations. In a 2500-word double-spaced report, analyze ways the organization is reacting to stakeholder influences and how the policies and initiatives of this organization, as well as technologies that they employ, are affecting stakeholders internally, externally, and globally. You should demonstrate your ability to incorporate and integrate your learning from all aspects of this module. Ensure that you include information from the course material, the readings, your journal, and your own research.
You may choose from the following options:
- Royal Dutch Shell. Search Shell’s corporate website for “sustainable development” or “responsible energy” for reports and discussions about the company’s progress toward cleaner, more efficient energy production and other environmental initiatives
- Interface, Inc.. Information sources include the Interface corporate website at http://www.interfaceinc.com, and a discussion of Interface’s programs and progress athttp://www.interfacesustainability.com/
- Hewlett-Packard (HP). This organization refers to its commitment toward sustainability as its “corporate citizenship”: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/index.html
- A business or organization of your choice that is implementing sustainable development policies and initiatives. Please review the questions below to ensure the organization or business that you select is appropriate to the assignment deliverables.Note: Prior to beginning this report (if you are not analyzing Shell, Interface, or HP), you should discuss with your Open Learning faculty member your chosen organization if you have any concerns as to whether the organization is appropriate.
- Section 1. External forces or influences: Identify three external factors that you think have influenced the company’s shift to more environmentally and/or socially responsible business management practices. Describe the ways in which these external factors influenced management actions and/or decisions or helped to transform the company. Provide evidence to support your observations. (30 marks)
- Section 2. Internal forces or influences: Identify two internal factors that have influenced the company’s shift to more environmentally and/or socially responsible business management practices. Describe the ways in which these internal factors influenced management actions and/or decisions or helped to transform the company. Provide evidence to support your observations. (20 marks)
- Section 3. Global impacts of sustainable development initiatives: Describe one real or potential global impact of the sustainable development initiatives of this company. Indicate the magnitude or significance of this impact in terms of its influence on global business and/or society. (10 marks)
- Section 4. Harnessing technology for sustainable development: Describe (with examples) how this company is using the Internet and other technologies to assist its efforts to move toward sustainable business and development. (10 marks)