Clinical Field Experience C: Literacy Activity Implementation. There is never enough practice for implementing activities. Each time a lesson is taught, a teacher learns something new about effective teaching practices through self-reflection, especially when implementing multiple content areas in one lesson for cross-disciplinary instruction.
Allocate at least 5 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: Implementation
For this field experience, you will deliver the literacy activity you created in Topic 2, or a lesson of your mentor’s choice, to a small group of students that your mentor teacher has selected. Remember to focus on:
- Instructional strategies for literacy development.
- Differentiation, including accommodations to meet the diverse needs of students.
- Creating engagement and promoting discussion.
Part 2: Mentor Feedback
After your implementation, ask your mentor teacher the following:
- How effectively did I integrate literacy into the activity?
- Were students engaged?
- How effectively did I meet the needs of all students?
- What did I do well and what can I do better?
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the mentor teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
Part 3: Personal Reflection
- How did I integrate literacy in the activity?
- Did students demonstrate the concepts of the activity? How?
- How did I differentiate by using resources and/or technology to make necessary accommodations in the activity?
- What do I feel went well in the class and what might have gone better?
- How did I know if the students met the learning objective of the activity?
- What would my next steps be for my future practice?
Write a reflection of 250-500 words summarizing your implementation experience, mentor’s feedback, and your personal reflection.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.