In this weekly discussion, share with the class your final project:
1) What type of device or system did you select to conduct your forensics investigation?
2) What tool did you use for the data capture?
3) What did you learn from the experience?
Part 2 (6-7 pages)
For the final project, you will be conducting a forensics investigation using one of the following items:
- A network (ideally, a wireless network)
However, be aware of legal issues surrounding your data gathering. If you are using any system you do not personally control and have authority to investigate/discover, please get written permission from the owner/operator of the system or refrain from your forensics analysis of that systems and use a personal system. For a network, you can use your own personal home network.
You will review various forensics tools used with your selected system. Select a tool and use that tool to gather forensics data for analysis. You are simulating the process of gathering this data, so you do not need to investigate a compromised device or system. The project deliverables are as follows:
Week 7 – Prepare an investigative report of the forensics data capture conducted using the tool selected for this purpose. The paper should provide the following information:
- Executive Summary of your investigation, including a description of the device or systems and the tool used for the forensics analysis
- The step-by-step description you used to gather data for analysis
- Report on the information that was obtainable from the device
- Graphics evidence that you conducted the forensics data gathering and analysis
The paper should be in a form that would be used for reporting to a court or a law enforcement agency. Be sure to provide graphics evidence of your forensics investigation effort (Screenshots, reports, etc.). References should be in APA format.