Sociology homework help. Social Change
1. The reading discusses the efforts to revitalize city areas that have historically been less affluent, the process of gentrification. What are the potential effects of gentrification on the economy and current residents of the neighborhood? NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) protests occur when concerned citizens band together to speak up against something that will impact them negatively.
Who is more likely to be involved in NIMBY protests and where do they occur?
Give an example of a NIMBY protest and whether you support it or not. In your answer, also share a recent news piece (within the last 3 months) related to a NIMBY protest or gentrification. Provide a link to the story.
2. Consider what you have learned about collective behavior, social movements, and social change.
How is the global expansion of social media likely to affect how people pursue social change?
How has it done so already?
Use specific examples from the media (including a link to information about a recent social movement) as you analyze social movements, social change, technology, and the media. A full citation is not required for the link.
The essays meets the following course objectives:
- Apply a sociological perspective to the social world.
- Analyze contemporary social issues using the sociological imagination and use sociological theories and concepts to analyze everyday life.
- Explain collective behavior, social movements, and social change.
350-400 words (each question), APA style format and a minimum of 2 references